Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hummingbird young of the year – the majority of hummers at the feeder in mid-summer






Hummingbirds swirl around my head as I sit out on my patio in the morning. Most of the time the Costa’s male is chasing away at least two young birds from the feeder. Sometimes it is just one that comes to check me out.
                I was reading the newspaper one morning when I heard the hum of wings. The young male Anna’s hummingbird was ‘reading’ the back page of the newspaper.  I put down the paper and he moved to look at me, his throat spot shining a brilliant rose-red in the morning sun. Since the young male has only a few token feathers of color on his throat, it can’t yet be called a gorget.
                When I see multiple hummers around the feeder and no one is chasing them away, I know I am looking at the young. Like the young human, they don’t yet have the hormone changes that will turn them into breeding adults. That is why they have not yet developed the strong territorial instincts of the adult.  
A young Anna's hummingbird sits at the feeder
She is joined by a young male Anna's, the patch on the throat and the size identifies it.
And they happily drink together
             


During migration the vast majority of hummers I see are the young of the year. These can be hard to identify, unless they are a species that the male immature has distinguishing marks or they are old enough for the adult feathers to begin appearing.
Young Costa's feed together, newly acquired colors and size identify
                Most hummers migrate as individuals. Once in a while I will see a group that seems to be traveling together, at least they come to my feeder at the same time, but not often. It is hard to fathom how such a tiny, young bird can find its way hundreds of miles and not get lost. Not only do they manage it, but they also find feeders along the way. Are there billboards in the sky directing them to the nearest feeder?
                The sad part is that most of these young will not see next year. The death rate of young birds is well over 90%. A pair of birds may produce three clutches a season. Those clutches usually consist of two eggs each. If all are successful, that pair alone will produce six new birds. Yet the population of birds is not growing. Adult hummingbirds live an average of five years, with some banded individuals recording as much as 12 years and still living. The young usually don’t make it, which is what keeps the population stable.
                I try not to think about the fate of the tiny young visitors to my feeder. I just enjoy them while they are still with me.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment