Friday, July 19, 2013

Broad-tailed Hummingbird – a summer migrant through Las Vegas




The Broad-tailed hummingbird announced his presence at my feeder in Las Vegas more by the sound of his wings than by his looks. I was sitting outside enjoying the spring temperatures when this loud hum went over head. If you equate the sound of a normal hummingbird's hum to a Piper Cub, this one was a jet plane. I immediately perked up my ears and started watching for a new hummer.
                When I finally spotted him I could see he was the largest of the hummingbirds frequenting my feeder here in Las Vegas. He was also stockier than the others. Reference to my favorite field guide, Robins, et al, by Golden Field Guides (1966 edition), gave me the identification with these words ‘more readily told by the distinctive shrill metallic wing whistling than by its rounded tail and rose-colored throat.’
By Kati Fleming (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
                The Broad-tailed hummer didn’t stay long at my feeder; he was only pausing on his journey to higher altitudes. A few weeks’ vacation in Las Vegas was all he could take off from his more serious work. Once the season progressed enough for flowering bushes and plants in the mountains he moved on.
                At his summer range temperatures frequently nosedive at night. Like other hummers he has the ability to lower his metabolism and cool his body to conserve energy. Because mountain valleys are colder at night than the hillsides, the male will move up-slope at night to help his survival. The female is tied to the nest so she doesn’t have that option. Instead she builds insulation into her nest to help her stay warmer at night and keep her eggs and nestlings safe.
                In another month I will probably again see the Broad-tailed hummingbird at my feeder here in Las Vegas. In the meantime I am busy observing the antics of my resident hummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment