Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Costa’s Hummingbird – A summer resident that takes over Las Vegas feeders



Costa's showing his colors at my feeder.


The Costa’s Hummingbird was the last summer resident to come to my feeder here in Las Vegas. I kept watching and watching for him, looking for the tale-tale side gorget feathers, but all I saw was the same ones I had seen before. Then June 12, success! A small hummingbird showed up with a distinct gorget that flared out beautifully at the side. The Costa’s had arrived.
Habitat: Costa’s hummingbird likes the desert. He will stay there until the heat of the summer arrives. Then flowers get scarce. A move to the cooler, more verdant, climate of the city becomes an attractive alternative. It is not surprising the he arrived at me feeder just four days after record breaking highs.
Identification: Costa’s hummingbird has a purple-rose throat and forehead. The flaring gorget is unmistakable when he moves his head from side to side. His tail is short, but not so short as that of the Calliope. While he is the second smallest bird at my feeder, he is chunky. Nothing slim and trim about him.
The main thing that gives his identity away is his actions. He likes to stay seated. He’ll sit on the perch of my feeder for 15 or 20 minutes. He looks one way and then the other. He may stretch his neck out to see what is coming around the corner, but doesn’t fly to check. I have seen him sit there on the perch and scratch his head, stretch his wings, preen his front sides and then fluff himself, all without moving away. He also likes to sit low on my tomato cage where he can guard the feeders from the distance.
Feeding: He feeds on nectar, of course, but he also likes to eat insects, as do all hummingbirds. He picks little gnats off of flower petals and off the hook on my feeder. He also watches for gnats flying around under my patio roof and grabs them out of the air.
Costa's hummer sitting on my tomato cage
Behavior: Costa’s hummingbird is the most territorial hummer I have at my feeder right now. Even if he seems to be nowhere around, if another hummer comes to feed he appears out of the blue and chases it away. I’m not seeing anywhere near the variety of hummingbirds as I did before he arrived. Fortunately he is fascinating enough on his own to make up for the absence of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment