Monday, September 15, 2014

Two hummingbirds tolerate each other in Las Vegas NV – one in the bush, one on the perch


Yes, there really are two hummingbirds in the picture.


                There are times that one hummer will let another be within his territory – for awhile – even here at Las Vegas feeders. Of course they are young ones and still somewhat social but it’s not the norm.
                One evening I was sitting out on the patio enjoying the evening. Temperatures were in the mid 90s but it felt comfortable with no blazing sun. I was watching the hummers come to the feeders. One young male sat on the perch at the feeder and drank. Then he dived into the neighboring Mock Orange bush. I have seen hummers do this numerous times. Usually they go into the bush or to the side where I cannot see them. This one was different. He landed at the edge of the bush. I knew where he was but he was so small and well camouflaged that I couldn’t spot him. The zoom on the camera picked him out without a problem. I snapped a couple of pictures, delighted that I finally had one in the bush.
Without the zoom I couldn't see him.
                A second young male came to the feeder. I anticipated the first would come bombing out of the bush and send him on his way, pronto. No, I waited in vain. No attack came. Then I began to wonder if the second bird was really my first, returning for another drink. I used the zoom to look. The first was still sitting in the bush.
The second hummer.
                I figured I have better move fast. I reduced the zoom and took a picture, wasting no time. I couldn’t be sure I had even gotten both birds in the picture. When I looked at the screen I couldn’t see the one in the bush. I could only hope. (After I downloaded the picture onto my computer I could see it better on the larger screen. Yes, both birds were in the photo.)
                Then of course the magic moment was past. The first bird spotted the second and off they went. They flew back and forth across the yard, just inches above the grass, until one of them flew over the wall and off to other food sources.
If you didn't spot the other hummer here is the same picture marked.
                I don’t know which was the vanquished and which the victor. I will assume the first was the winner, but I can only guess and wait for more action at my feeders here in Las Vegas.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment