Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Hummingbirds keep things humming in Las Vegas NV – up high and down low



     I was sitting outside on my back patio one morning when I heard humming, there was a hummingbird hovering right over my head.
     Immature hummingbirds have descended on Las Vegas in droves. They are bound for southern climes but, meanwhile, they find the attractions of Las Vegas feeders and flowers enough to warrant them staying around for awhile.
     For some reason they find my south side feeder to be the best. I can’t help but wonder if this is because it is a very common type of feeder and one they are familiar with. Whatever the reason, it is the south side feeder that is seeing most of the action right now. Some evenings it is surrounded by swarms of new birds.
     One young hummer has attempted to take over that feeder. When he first arrived, he found a convenient perch high up on the Cat’s Claw vine that covers the wall behind the feeder. From there he was able to keep an eye out for both interlopers and insects.
Sitting high on the Cats' Claw
Coming for a landing on the same stem.
A truly handsome bird!
     Since he is an immature Costa’s hummingbird, he soon decided to find a lower perch. He can take them unawares and chase them off in a hurry. Also he likes to fly catch close to the ground. He also likes to come to the window in the early morning to check for insects. I don’t know what attracts insects to windows but I have seen that behavior in other fly catching birds. I keep trying to get his picture when he hovers in front of the window, just feet away from me, but either my camera or my reflexes are too slow for it.
The advantage for him is that the other hummers coming to the feeder don’t notice him.
     If I don’t see him land on his perch I can’t find him,
Find the hummer! He really is in the picture!
even though I have reason to think he is there.
Close up view.
He is so small and green that he is easily lost among the leaves of the Cat’s Claw.
With his green back he's easily lost on the vine.
     Even though he has taken over the south of the yard, the adult Costa’s is still the owner of the patio. When I open the back door I often see him fly away from his perch on the plant by the door.
     As summer winds down I will see more changes in my hummingbird population here in Las Vegas NV. It takes constant vigilance to keep up with it all. And a fast camera and fast reflexes!

No comments:

Post a Comment