Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Costa’s Hummingbirds return to feeders in Las Vegas NV – drought and heat make it better in town



I heard that familiar high-pitched whistle. It was May 20, 2014. I was standing in my kitchen. Since the weather was still mild the window was open. I heard a faint whistle. I stopped and listened. It was repeated. I could tell it wasn’t close.
Then in the evening of May 23, 2014 I was sitting outside enjoying the peaceful quiet and watching the feeders. I have installed yet a fourth feeder. This one is on the south side of my house, close to the block wall covered with Cat’s Claw Vine. I had my camera ready.
Hummingbirds are constantly at my feeders now. Friends report that hummers with nests near their homes have already fledged out this year’s first clutch and started on the second. I am now seeing females, males and immatures at my feeders. I knew I would need my camera.
As I sat there I heard a hummer coming to the south side feeder. I aimed my camera and got an image of it. When I looked at the results I could see it was a male Costa’s hummingbird. So I was right about hearing his whistle earlier.
Costa's male hovering next to my new feeder.
Then a female, or immature, I don’t know which, came to the feeder on the west side and I was able to snap a picture of her as well. I can see a little color on the throat, but I can’t be sure as to its ID.
This morning, as I was coming home from walking my dogs at 6 a.m., I heard the Costa’s whistle. This time it was loud and clear and only a short distance away. He repeated it again and again. I wonder if he’s planning to take over the place again.
I have not seen as many species this year as I did last spring. Again, I can only wonder. Is it because I had my feeders up all winter?  I may have a group of resident hummers that have made my house part of their feeding territory, not leaving room for the migrants. Or is it just because I am not seeing all the birds that come to the feeders?
I can’t tell. I can only watch and keep my camera handy.
Hummer at the west side feeder.
I did have one visitor that I hadn’t seen before. This was a second-year male Scott’s Oriole. He came to my new feeder for two days. I heard his sweet song once. I didn’t get a picture of him then, but I thought I would have plenty of opportunities. Wrong. He left and I haven’t seen him since. I can only wonder if, as a non-breeding male, he was just wandering through, checking out the territory to see if it might be a good spot to settle in next year. I still hope to see him again, only this time I will grab the camera fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment