Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hummingbird in the hand in Las Vegas NV – when all else fails



                What is it about autumn that brings in the hummingbirds? I could make some wild guesses but I am sure none of them would be entirely correct. Whatever the cause, I had a third hummer in the house on Thursday, October 31, 2013.
                 I was busy in the back room for quite awhile. When I came to the kitchen at 12:17 pm I immediately heard the chatter of a hummingbird. My two cats were watching the Palladian window. I knew immediately what I would see – another hummingbird trying to use that window as an escape hatch. Well, at least this time I knew what to do. I went through the house closing all the blinds. I also closed the door to any room that was bright enough to serve as a distraction. Since she was frantically throwing herself against the glass I figured I needed to get the broom, too.
                As I approached her I could see that she was not stopping to rest like the males had done. She was constantly in motion, so no need for the camera. I put the broom bristle between her and the glass. Instead of turning and flying out the window she grabbed a bristle with one foot and held on for dear life. She didn’t even bother to fold her wings. She just hung there as though she was stuck to the broom with wings splayed out and the other foot still curled up as though in flight. I found this posture alarming. I was afraid that somehow she was stuck to the broom.
                My priority was to safely get her out of the house. I figured if she were stuck to the broom I would take care of it outside where she could fly off without hindrance. So I carried the broom with her clinging to the bristles through the house and out to the backyard. There I thought she would fly off if she could.
                No, she just stayed splayed out on the broom. Finally I carefully reached down and pulled her away, using one had to hold the broom and the other to lift her off. Once in my hand she just lay there. She was totally exhausted. She didn’t even settle her wings or unclench her foot. Basically she was sprawled out on the palm of my hand.
Tired hummer in hand
                Now I had a bird in hand, but no camera. My dogs weren’t any help. It was up to me to get the camera. I didn’t want to go back into the house with the little female Anna’s in my hand. I was concerned that she would get upset and try to fly off. Fortunately the camera was in its usual spot, on the piano right inside the door. I kept the hand with the bird outside while I stretched the other hand back into the house and grabbed the camera.
If you enlarge this photo you can see that even her bill is iridescent
                Now I had camera in hand, but only had one hand to use to take the picture. Thanks goodness for point and shoot cameras. I couldn’t even be sure that I was pointing at the bird. I just kept moving the camera around hoping I’d get a picture. I managed 10 shots, some turned out and others didn’t. I took the last one at 12:25.
Enlarge this photo and look carefully at the tear drop on her throat. You can see one rose colored feather.
 I kept taking her back to the feeder, but she showed no interest in moving onto the perch. At one point she closed her eyes. Finally she unclenched her one foot and settled her wings and just rested.
She stayed in that position for a few more minutes and then off she went, free as a bird, and flew away over the wall and out of sight.
I really must get that screen on my door and the shutter on the window to prevent any more hummingbird-in-the-house excitement.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment