Sunday, August 25, 2013

Interesting day at hummingbird feeder in Las Vegas NV – not the usual type of day



                My hummingbird feeders under the patio cover of my Las Vegas home are in such a place that I can watch them from the couch where I sit to read and talk on the phone. That way I am able to keep one eye on my book and the other on the feeder. My camera is right next to me, ready to grab and shoot at a moment’s notice. When you are taking pictures of birds, a moment is all you have to get the picture.
                Unfortunately the lighting is often not the best, but by using photo apps I can compensate for some of the problems presented by that.
                Today was supposed to be a ‘significant rain event’ according to the national weather service. All morning the sun shone bright in a totally clear, blue sky. I was able to walk the dogs without the slightest concern for wind, rain and lightning, very much different from what I had expected yesterday. I wondered where that rain event had gone. However, in the late morning clouds started covering the sky, but I was no longer concerned about our walk so I sat comfortably on the couch reading.
Finch concerned about something off to her left
                When I looked up from my book a little after noon I noticed there were two finches at the feeder. As I watched them through the camera screen and snapped pictures, one appeared to look a little concerned at something off to the side.
                 When I looked in that same direction, I saw what the problem was. A Mockingbird had landed on the arm of the patio chair just under the other feeder. I was able to snap a picture before he flew off.
Mockingbird the finch was looking at
As the day went on the clouds got heavier, the wind came up and it began to look as though that ‘significant rain event’ was going to happen after all. At two I was talking on the phone and had the back door open since the day had cooled off considerably. I could see that Costa’s hummingbird was sitting on his favorite perch on the feeder, but I could also hear him whistling. I was very glad that the phone conversation was shorter than usual because when it was done, he was still there and still whistling.
I had wanted to get a picture of his whistling stance earlier in the season, but he was never cooperative about staying around for long while whistling. I don’t know if it was the wind tossing the feeder about and ruffling his feathers that made him want to stay on his perch and whistle, or not. Whatever the reason he just kept sitting and whistling. Sometimes he’d see an extra juicy insect fly by and go off for a snack, but then he came back to the feeder and whistled some more.
To hear the Costa's whistle go to:  http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Costas_Hummingbird/sounds
Whistling Costa's hummingbird, notice the stance and the open bill.
I was able to get as many pictures of his whistling stance as I thought I might need. I could have taken even more, but wanted to get back to my book. Then the finch came back and the Costa’s left. And it finally started to rain, but not until after the dogs got their afternoon walk.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment